The DTSM, Inc. Director of Operations and Placemaking is responsible for the planning, development, implementation and oversight of all DTSM, Inc. operations programs with the goal of providing measurable success in ensuring Downtown Santa Monica is a clean, safe, welcoming and prosperous place for Downtown businesses, visitors, and residents. This senior staff position oversees a budget of nearly $6M and has a major role in impacting all aspects of DTSM, Inc. The Director of Operations and Placemaking is an exempt position and reports to the DTSM, Inc. Chief Executive Officer.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities
The DTSM, Inc. Director of Operations and Placemaking plays a vital role in creating, maintaining, and providing oversight for foundational programs that ensure the vitality and economic prosperity of Downtown. These programs include clean and safe services, operations, parking, access, and transportation, and economic development.
Essential tasks and responsibilities include:
- Execute policies, programs, strategic priorities, and other directions from the DTSM, Inc. Board of Directors and Committees, and the CEO
- Oversee DTSM, Inc. clean and safe programs including the Community Ambassador program, the maintenance program, the quality of life program, and the parks attendant program
- Provide leadership and expertise to maximize the potential of all DTSM, Inc. clean and safe endeavors
- Work closely with City of Santa Monica partners in Public Works to ensure City services meet their contractual obligations and the standards of DTSM, Inc.
- Establish and maintain productive relationships with City of Santa Monica departments including the Santa Monica Police Department, the Santa Monica Fire Department, Department of Transportation, Economic Development, Planning and other departments impacting Downtown
- Manage and oversee DTSM, Inc. vendor contracts and programs falling within the purview of Operations including the Downtown Santa Monica Ice Rink
- Facilitate partnerships with local government, community organizations, and the private sector to benefit DTSM, Inc. and Downtown Santa Monica stakeholders
- Establish regular meetings and communications with business owners, property managers, private security teams, and loss-prevention personnel
- Research, create, and present data-driven reports to verify or amend policy strategies for DTSM operations programs and services
- Represent DTSM, Inc. to the Board of Directors and various DTSM, Inc. sub-Committees. Serve as the primary staff person managing particular sub-Committees
- Provide direct management and oversight of the DTSM, Inc. Public Space Manager and work in coordination with all DTSM, Inc. staff
- Attend board and committee meetings, including occasional evening hours
- Complete special projects and other duties as assigned
- Proven project management experience
- Understanding of industry best practices
- Undergraduate degree
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to work with a team in a fast and innovative environment
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary of $140,000 to $150,000
- Platinum-level health care benefits including dental and eye care insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Paid parking
- Paid holidays and generous PTO
- Retirement plan
Commitment to Diversity
Downtown Santa Monica, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic which may be specified by law or agency policy.
To apply please contact Andrew Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org.