The City of Santa Monica and Downtown Santa Monica, Inc. (DTSM) contract with FilmL.A. for permit coordination services for filming in the Downtown district, see map here. FilmL.A. accepts applications for permits to film within the public right-of-way, including City parks and facilities.
Please submit all film permit applications directly to FilmL.A. through their Online Permit System at www.filmla.com at least five (5) business days before the first day of filming. For more information, please contact FilmL.A.'s Production Planning Department at 213.977.8600. However, before you file the application, please contact DTSM Special Events Manager Laura Borsecnik at email@example.com or at 310.393.8355 to make sure space is available for your needs.
COVID-19 Temporary Restrictions
The County of Los Angeles has health and safety protocols in place to keep casts, crews and the general public safe during filming. Please follow them and also pay particular attention to the following items:
- A designated person should be assigned to deal with the following items: physical distancing, disinfection, providing face coverings and safety supplies and disposing of used supplies, health checks and general health concerns/questions.
- All off-camera staff need to practice social distancing.
- Only essential staff should be at the filming site. (DTSM can provide a list of nearby greenroom spaces to rent.)
- All filming will take place in designated areas or spaces that have been pre-approved by DTSM.
- Filming areas on Third Street Promenade should be enclosed by barriers. DTSM can provide rope and stanchions/bike racks or crews can bring their own.
- Filming that will attract crowds is not permitted.
- Any make-up application and wardrobe adjustments should be made off site.
If any issues stemming from the pandemic should arise during filming and clarification is needed, the LA County Department of Public Health should be contacted. In addition, FilmLA and the Industry-Wide Labor-Management Safety Committee Task Force have very useful information and guidelines on safety and other COVID-19 related issues.
The City of Santa Monica has parking options if there is time to apply for usage. DTSM can also provide you with contacts at private parking options.
For information on site fees, please see the Downtown Santa Monica Filming Fee Schedule.